Thursday, September 3, 2009

Gongura Pachadhi and the award

Hai friends today i am coming with the Gongura pickle.This is one of Andhra's famous pickle.
Gongura (Hibiscus cannabinus) (Telugu: గోంగూర) is a relative of the Roselle. Gongura pacchadi is quintessentially Andhra cuisine along with aavakaaya pacchadi (pickle). While it has many culinary uses, the most popular is the pickled version. In the Telengana region of Andhra Pradesh, it is known as Puntikura. Gongura is a very rich source of Iron, vitamins, folic acid and anti-oxidants essential for human nutrition[1]. Similarly, "Gongura" is popular in Tamilnadu as well, which is called "pulichakeerai" in Tamil. The famous combination with "pulichakeerai" is "Ragi Kali/Ragi Mudde", which once used to be a regular food for the people in villages (since these items easily avaialbe in agricultural forms). It is highly recommended for sugar and heart patients to maintain their diet.


Sold on a street in GunturGongura comes in two varieties, green stemmed leaf and red stemmed. The red stemmed variety is more sour than the green stemmed variety. Gongura is popular in the state of Andhra Pradesh. In Maharashtra markets, it is called Ambaadi (अंबाडी). It is a summer crop and the hotter the place the more sour the leaf gets.


Drying Gongura for Pickle
A jar of commercially available Andhra Pradesh style gongura pickleOther well known recipes made with Gongura as the main ingradient are Gongura Pappu (Lentils), Gongura mamsam (goat/mutton) and Gongura royyalu (shrimp).

Apart from the curries there are many varieties of pickles made with gongura such as:

Pulla Gongura (Gongura + Red Chillies)
Pulihara Gongura (Gongura and Tamarind)
Andhra Pradhesh produces the best quality Gongura. Farmers pick Gongura early in the mornings so that the moisture is retained for the longest possible time.

Gongura is called Puntikura in the Telangana dialects of Telugu."Gongura Go Back" was popular slogan in the 1969 Telangana Movement.

Gongura Pachadi in Andhra Cuisine is world famous.


Ok lets go to the recipe.

Ingredients:

Gongura leaves-Bunch
Jeera-1 tsp
Coriander seeds-1 1/2 tsp
Dry red chillies-6 to 7
Curry leaves-few
Garlic-1(full)
Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil-3 tsp

Method:

First separate leaves from the stems and keep it aside and also chop the garlic.

We have to pick nice leaves that should not be any fungi to leaves.

Now wash all the leaves and place in the colander that drains excess water.

Now place one cloth or towel place all the leaves and make it dry.

When the leaves r completely dry now the leaves r ready to make pickle.
Step 1.First place one pan and pour the oil add the garlic when it turns the colour add the 1/2 jeera,coriander,red chillies and curry leaves make it fry and keep it aside.









Step2.Now in another pan add 1 tsp oil and add the leaves.
Fry until the raw smell goes.

Dont fry too much.
Make it cool.
Now pace both the step 1 and step 2 ingredients and also the salt in the jar and blend to fine paste.Dont add water.


Place one pan and add the remaining oil add the garlic,mustard seeds,jeera,red chilli pieces and curry leaves.To this add the grinded paste and mix well.



Serve hot with the hot rice with finelly chopped onions.Now the heaven is here.


I got the honest award from Priya http://recipes-priya.blogspot.com/.She is very wonderful encourages us by giving this fabulous awards.Ireally thank her.U really made my day.


Requirements:


I must thank the person who gave me the award and list their blog and link it


I must list 10 honest things about myself


I must put a copy of The Honest Scrap Logo on my blog.


I must select at least 7 other worthy bloggers & list their links


I must notify the bloggers of the award and hopefully they will follow the above three requirements also.



1. I love my hubby and daughter very much.
2. I love my daughter smile.
3. I love to paint and cook.
4. I love to learn some thing in cooking and craft.
5. I love to go nice trip with my hubby ,daughter,my parents and my brother and sis.
6. I want to learn dance but now i cant.(Its too late i think)
7. I love to go for shopping like home decor a lot.
8. I love to put Aquarium in my house.(but in texas climate i cant)
9. I want my mom and dad come here and stay for a while happily.
10. I really hate lizards.


And the honest bloggers are:

I love to give award who all r following my blog.

Vishali

Sangi

Divya

Saaru

Pooja

Shama

Nithya

I really need ur valuable comments.

9 comments:

  1. Gongura pachadi I love it ..looks awesome.. I adore ur step by step instruction.. Congrats on ur award.. Good to know more abt u. Peep in my blog when u find time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm delicious gongura dish with beautiful step by step photos.. good work vineela!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank u very much Pavithra.Sure i will go through ur blog dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummy pachadi...congrats dear....thank you for the award

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow gongura pachadi yummy...send me vineela.Congrats on ur award.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vineela, Gongura leaves chala fresh ga unayi.
    step by step process of gongura pachadi is very fine and congrats on ur Award, thanks for giving the Award

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to eat this with anything n everything..I have in my blog too....just so adorable arent' they?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ho dear,
    plz collect ur award frm my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. very interesting! i can imagine the sour and the other flavours blending nicely!

    ReplyDelete